Friday, January 17, 2020

My First Craft in 2020 - DIY Minnie Headband


So I have an event last Saturday, with the theme being "Mickey and Minnie". The theme was probably picked in conjunction with the Year of Rat this year. 🐭

Having never been to Disneyland before (one fine day I would be there!), I didn't have the Mickey or Minnie ears where you can get one at Disneyland. 

So for the past 2 weeks or so I searched Lazada to see if I were able to get one online. Well, most merchants offer delivery between 10-14 days but the event was less than 2 weeks away then! I certainly do not want to take the risk of late delivery. 

So while searching online, I found that Mr D.I.Y. does carry a lookalike-Minnie headband. So off I went to the nearest Mr D.I.Y. store (AEON Maluri) but boy I was slightly unconvinced because the ears were too near that the headband looked weird on me wtf!


I was like, ok, this isn't what I really wanted, so maybe I should go to Berjaya Times Square. So I went on the very last Saturday before the event, hoping I would able to get one there. After all, Berjaya Times Square is where you can get all the hippy and quirky stuff right? (at least it gave me such impression).

After almost 5 hours of wandering the mall, I got nothing. Nothing!!!! The whole fcking mall doesn't have Mickey or Minnie ears even though it is the Year of Rat!! How eh?

Disappointed and tired, I decided to just diy myself. I went back to MR DIY AEON Maluri to get the kinda cacat Minnie headband (I wanted only the ears actually).


The Minnie headband from Mr DIY costed me Rm1.60 only. That was darn cheap!!!!! 😃

So firstly, I soaked the headband in hot water with soap, to soften the glue. Then with the aid of a cutter, I slowly dismantled the headband parts - the ears and the ribbon from the plain headband.


Now that the ears were removed from the headband, I wanted the ears to be 'flexible', as in I could wear the headband with Mickey ears or just the plain headband without the ears.

Thus after letting the headband and the ears to dry, I used a brown ribbon to make four 'ring pockets' that can fit the headband precisely. I wanted to use a black or dark blue cloth but because I couldn't find one, I used a brown ribbon instead. But because the ribbon wasn't wide enough, I made 4 pockets instead of 2.


After making the 'ring pockets', I sewn one pocket each to one end of the ear, thus each ear will have 2 pockets, each at the edge end. 

Now I can slide the ears to the headband, adjusting the gap between the ears as how I like it. Or I can just remove the ears from the headband as and when I like it.

Done the ears, next is the ribbon bow. Minnie has this signature big, red-and-white polka dot bow but again, I don't have a similar bow on hand. Among my limited collection of hair accessories, I could only find one black-and-white polka dot ribbon bow, so I used that instead.

To add some red color to my Minnie hairband, I used a leftover red organza piece and placed it as the background for my black-and-white bow. 

So now I have the ribbon bow ready, I slide it to the centre of headband, in between the 2 ears. And because all are removable and not stick-ed deadly to the headband, I can adjust the gap however I like it. 

And ta-da!!! This is my proud modified Minnie headband compared to the original bought from store:





How do you like my diy Minnie headband? 😉

Bonus: My Minnie 'handbag' 😂

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have anything to share? I'd love to hear from you (^-^*)/

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...